Zoe Limbert and Mary Oliver worked on the 2 minute film, Justice, as a group.
We initially began with individual research and ideas and then met up to do brainstorming. We decided on a chase scene with a psychological theme. We discussed our idea with Matt from AV and debated our options for a visual effect. Some of our ideas were to input graffiti that would later be changed into a sign, fake blood and scaring, smoke and mist machines, high-speed camera and other video filters. We then came up with a simple plan of our film outlining all of the key frames, camera angles/placements and possible locations. Based on these notes we explored locations and photographed possible places.
We sat down and wrote up a simple script that was later typed up in full detail and sent to the actors by Mary. We had a tutorial from Matt in how to use the green-screen, our decided visual effect. We practiced all of our shots the week before filming with Mary filming and Zoe acting out and checking on how well the sound worked in each area, deciding that we needed a sound booth for the outside shots and to pick up the voices of the children. Mary put an advert on a casting website and we cast 3 children for our film and a friend who does drama at Leeds University. We sent image release forms to all the cast long before filming and were given them back filled in on the day of filming. We practiced make up shots on the lead actor and documented this and then did some simple run throughs and practice shots involving the actor. We prepared the props such as the discharge paper, the hand towel and the letter with a photograph attached. Mary produced the storyboard that was used on the day of filming to make sure that none of the scenes were missed.
We booked our equipment to take out on the 22nd of October with an overnight form as we needed it for the weekend. We began filming at Leeds Art College with the main actor at 10.30 and filmed all the scenes the other actors were not involved in. Mary was using the camera and Zoe used the headphones and boom microphone, making sure the sound worked. Unfortunately the portable lighting that we had booked out had been broken so when filming the green-screen scene a shadow was cast under his arm, causing problems later in editing. Filming in the morning could not have gone better and we were lucky to have family and friends around to help with both carrying equipment and playing minor roles. We met the rest of the cast, the children at the Art College later at 3.00 and filmed at several locations. During reading week, from the 25th of October we both came in and edited for 3 full days, many scenes had to be cut down to fit the 2 minute brief. We edited the green-screen scene in after effects. After our presentation our only criticism was that the sound was too loud in parts. This was later edited.
Unforseen problems the we occurred during our filming were the portable light being broken, Mary being ill on our day of filming and how windy it was. We also did not realise the restrictions on filming in town and were unable to film in the Core shopping centre. On reflection we should have sort permission and take out high visibility vests. Later on in the day of filming the camera ran out of battery completely even though we had been careful to turn it off and the added sound equipment also ran out of battery but fortunately we could buy another one. Due to this by the time we wanted to do the rest of the filming it had suddenly become really dark and although we changed the settings to lighten the scene when edited these scenes became really grainy. Fortunately due to the nature of the film this look worked and filters were added to the rest of the film to match. With our shots in the lift we did not realise that more area was filmed than appeared on the screen although luckily only on our final shot was the camera not in shot. In another scene there is a slight reflection of the camera in the glass. We had trouble editing down our film as our final film was over 5 min long. We ended up changing the opacity and overlaying scenes. In areas where he shouted the sound was too loud and we also took many attempts to export our video so that the sound matched.
We were lucky with our filming with the weather as earlier in the week the weather was forecast for heavy rainfall. It was easy working together as we were both reliable as were our actors. We met policemen that asked to be involved and also managed to film some really natural reactions from the public, adding to the scenes. At the end of our film there was a car screech and a loud bang which we had not noticed whilst filming, but that worked perfectly to really emphasis our message.